When trying to add an FTP component to an IIS 7 website I got lost looking for how to add a new FTP site. Turns out there is new FTP service available as an extension to IIS 7 that boasts enhanced functionality and several new features. Some summary points:
- Built as an extension to IIS 7 and integrates into the IIS Manager.
- Supports FTP over SSL as well as UTF8 and IPv6.
- Adds new membership based authentication system.
- Allows for users to enable an existing website for FTP without the need to create a separate FTP site.
- Virtual hostname support (Host headers but for ftp).
- And much, much more.
If you have the Windows Firewall enabled (and you should) it is worth looking at Configuring FTP Firewall Settings to ensure you have the correct firewall settingsRead more